Thursday 3 October 2013

And then there's me, making noises like a ferret

...Referring to my soccer semi and grand final.

The Sunday we were due to have our soccer semifinal was wet and miserable. And of course, the pitch that we were playing at, because it had to be unrelated to either team, was a 45 minute drive away.
When we got there, it was bucketing down with rain. My team started warming up, in the rain, and we walked over to look at the pitch we'd be playing at. And because Football West is such a sexist organisation, all the boys teams got the good pitches while we were left with only one pitch that was so waterlogged that the water could be brushed off the pitch with a broom, as I saw some people doing. Seriously, the grass went squish as we walked on it.
We weren't allowed to play, of course. Everyone said that if we played on that pitch someone would slip and break something, or get a foot stuck in the mud and twist an ankle. In fact, we heard that one of the people on the team that *did* play on that pitch afterwards had to be stretchered off, so it was lucky we didn't play.
90 minutes of driving for nothing. The game was postponed to later in the week.
Thursday night was the time of the actual game, again out in Yonder Bognie, but my goodness, the pitch was amazing. It was professional quality. There was even a grandstand for the spectators. (And a fence surrounding the pitch which I got stuck on climbing over it, but let's not go there...)
And wow was it intense! That's the only word for it. Nil-all until half-time, and there were some great tries from both teams, and some truly spectacular saves from our goalie. It was only halfway into the second half when we got a goal, and there was much relieved screaming and hugging etc. from the people (including me) on the sidelines. Talk about a release of tension!
The final score was 1-0 to us.
And that's when the ferret noise comes in.
I was off for a bit before and after half-time, and it was that intense - if something happened that might have let the opposition get a goal, or if we missed a shot or something, I was really really trying not to swear, and so making like "fufufufufufufufufufufufu" - which is the noise made by an angry ferret. Everyone else is screaming - I'm going "fufufufufufufufufufufufufu".  Like a ferret.
It is also the noise made by a tiger, I think, but really, in my case I think a ferret is more appropriate.

And so we got into the grand final. Another rainy day, as always. The same girl who got the goal in our semi got a goal in the first couple of minutes of the game. We then spent the rest of the first half and most of the second trying to get another - when the other team scored. Mass panic - it might have had to go penalties, which noone wanted. But I reckon the minute after that (it was an insanely short time, in any case) we got a goal - and not just a goal. Our girl got it in from a header!
Best goal of the season, I think. Nobody I know has ever got a header goal before.
2-1 to us. WE WON!
We got medals and a trophy. Yeah!

So, 'til the next season! It's going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment